Vazhaipoo Vadai (Banana Flower Vada) – South Indian Snack Recipe
Ingredients For Vazhaipoo Vadai:
- 1 cup vazhaipoo (Cleaned, finely chopped)
- 1 cup chana dal
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 3 red chilies or to taste
- 3 green chilies, finely chopped or to taste
- 3/4″ ginger root
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 3/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp finely chopped curry leaves
- 3 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
How To Make Vazhaipoo Vadai (Banana Flower Vadai):
- Clean and finely chop the vazhaipoo. Pressure cook chopped vazhaipoo with very little water (just sprinkle water) for just 1 whistle. Allow it to cool and remove the lid. If there is any excess water gently squzeeze and keep aside.
- Soak chana dal for 2-4 hours. Wash and drain the water.
- Grind coarsely red chilies, coriander seeds, ginger and fennel seeds in a blender/ mixie.
- Add washed and drained chana dal to the same blender/ mixie and make into a coarse paste without adding any water.
- Don’t make it into a fine paste. You should have whole dal here and there.Take it in a wide bowl.
- Add cooked vazhaipoo, chopped onions, finely chopped curry leaves, finely chopped coriander leaves and required quantity of salt.
- Mix well and check the salt.
- Heat a deep pan with oil. When the oil is hot, take a lemon size ball and flatten it with your palms of medium thickness.
- Drop the flattened balls into the oil and fry until they turn into golden brown on both sides.
- Drain the excess oil. Serve hot with Tamarind rice, Lemon rice or you can have it as a snack.