Tomato pappu or Tomato dal – How to make tomato pappu recipe?
Tomato pappu is very simple and tasty Andhra pradesh dal recipe.
Ingredients for Tomato Pappu Recipe:
- 1 cup toor dal (kandhi pappu)
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- 1 finely sliced onion
- 5-6 green chillies (or to taste), finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- small lemon size tamarind
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 8-10 fenugreek seeds
- few curry leaves
- a pinch of asafoetida
- salt- to taste
Andhra Tomato Pappu Preparation:
- Take a medium size vessel and add washed kandhi pappu (toor dal), onions, tomatoes, green chillies, tamarind (clean and wash) and turmeric powder with required quantity of water.
- Cook till the dal becomes tender. (If you want you can do this in a pressure cooker also. 2 to 3 whistles are enough)
- Switch off the stove and allow it to cool. Then mash the cooked dal and keep aside.
- Take a separate pan and heat with 1 tbsp of oil for tadka.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- When they start to crackle add the cooked and mashed dal and mix gently.
- Check the salt and cook on medium flame for further 4-5 mins.
- Remove from heat. Now your easy and tasty tomato pappu (tomato toor dal tadka) is ready to serve.
- Serve hot or warm with rice or rotis.