This onion tomato gojju (gravy) which can be made when you are out of veggies. This gravy is very easy to make and very yumy also. This tomato gojju goes well with roti or rice.
Ingredients for Tomato gojju (onion tomato gravy) recipe:
- 3 big tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped or crushed
- 2 finely chopped green chilies, or to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder or to taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp bengal gram (chana dal/ kadalai paruppu/ senaga pappu)
- 1/2 tsp black gram (urad dal/ uluttam paruppu/ minapa pappu)
- few curry leaves
- few coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tbsp oil
How to make tomato gojju or onion tomato gravy recipe:
- Take a pan and heat with oil. Add mustard seeds. When they start to pop add chana dal and urad dal.
- Roast on low flame till they turn into golden yellow color. Add crushed garlic and saute for few seconds.
- Add finely chopped onions, green chilies and curry leaves. Saute on medium flame till they turn into light golden brown color.
- Add chopped tomatoes and required salt. Mix well and cover with a lid. Cook on medium low flame till the tomatoes become tender and mushy.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and mix well. Add 1/2 cup of water and once again stir well. Cover with a lid and cook on low flame for 5-7 mins or your desired consistency . In-between stir well, so that they don’t burn at the bottom.
- Remove the lid and check the salt. Finally add coriander leaves and turn off the stove.
- Serve hot with roti or steamed rice.