Thotakura vepudu – How to make thotakura vepudu (Amaranth leaves stir fry) recipe
Andhra’s favorite green is Thotakura (Amaranth/Chauli/Mulakeerai) after of course Gongura (red sorrel leaves/Roselle).
Amaranth leaves stir fry recipe is very easy to prepare and very tasty also. Its tastes great with plain white rice and ghee, sambar or rasam.
Ingredients for thotakura vepudu (amaranth stir fry / keerai poriyal):
- 3 bunches of fresh amaranth leaves
- 1/2 cup toor dal (kandi pappu / thuvaram paruppu)
- 5 red chilies or to taste
- 6 garlic flakes, roughly crushed
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp urad dal (minapappu/ ulutham paruppu)
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
How to cook thotakura vepudu or keerai poriayal recipe:
- Clean thotakura (amaranth / thandu keerai) and remove the thick stalks and root part. Wash it properly and chop it finely along with tender stalks.
- Wash and cook the toor dal till soft.
- Heat a deep pan with oil. Add urad dal, crushed garlic and saute till they turn into nice golden yellow color.
- Add broken red chilies and saute for few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder and give a quick stir.
- Add chopped thotakura (amaranth leaves/ thndu keerai) and required salt and mix well.
- Do not add water. While it gets cooked,it leaves water,so no need to add any water.
- Cover with lid and cook on medium high flame for 5-7 mins.
- Then remove the lid and cook on medium high flame so that the water evaporates apparently the thotakura gets cooked. In-between stir well, so that they don’t burn at the bottom.
- Cook till the stems become tender and water evaporates completely.
- Add cooked toor dal and mix gently. Check salt and cook on medium low flame for further 3-5 mins or stir well to get a dry vepudu.
- Serve hot with plain white rice with ghee, sambar or rasam.