Tamarind Rice Recipe – Puliyogare – Puliyodharai – Pulisadam – Pulihora – Pulikkachal
Ingredients For Tamarind Rice (Puliyodharai) Recipe:
- 2 cups rice, cook rice each grains separate
- big lemon size tamarind
Ingredients For Tamarind Rice Spice Powder:
- 6 red chilies or to taste
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
Ingredients For Seasoning:
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp chana dal
- 2 tbsp urad dal
- 10 cashewnuts
- 4 red chilies
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- few curry leaves
- 3 tbsp seasame oil or any cooking oil
How To Make Tamarind Rice (Puliyodharai/ puliyogare/ pulikkachal) Recipe:
- Wash, cook the rice in such a way that each grains separate and spread it on a plate.
- Wash and soak the tamarind in hot water and extract the thick juice from it and discard the pulp.
- Dry roast the powder ingredients until you get a nice aroma. Allow it to cool and make a powder and keep aside.
- Heat a kadai with oil and add mustard seeds. When they start to pop add chana dal, urad dal and cashewnuts. Toast on low flame until they turn into nice golden yellow color. Add red chilies, curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Add asafoetida, turmeric powder and give a quick stir. Add thick tamarind juice, required salt and stir well. Let it boil on medium flame until it thickens and oil oozes from the tamarind mixture. In-between stir well.
- Switch off the flame and allow it to cool for sometime.
- Now add required spice powder, cooked tamarind mixture to the rice and mix gently without breaking the rice grains. Adjust tamarind mixture, spice powder and salt according to your taste.
- Now your easy and tasty South Indian Tamil Iyengar Style Puliyodharai is ready.
- Serve Tamarind Rice (Puliyodharai/ pulihora) with vazhaipoo vadai, potato roast or papad.