Senai (yam)Curry recipe – This is another simple and tasty curry recipe. This senaikizhangu curyy goes well with sambar rice, curd rice, lemon rice or tamarind rice.
Ingredients For Senai (Yam) Curry Recipe:
- 500g senai (yam/ kanda / elephant foot yam)
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder or to taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- few curry leaves
- few coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- 1″ ginger root
- 3-4 garlic pods
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 green chili
How To Make Senaikizhangu (Kandagadda) Roast Recipe:
- Peel the skin, wash and cut the yam into small pieces. Apply some oil on your hands when cutting yam to prevent itching.
- Boil senaikizhangu with enough water till soft. Allow it to cool and roughly smash the cooked senai (yam/ kandagadda) and keep aside.
- Make a coarse paste with paste ingredients and keep aside.
- Heat a kadai with oil and add mustard seeds. When they start to pop add chana dal and urad dal. Saute on low flame until they into light golden yellow color.
- Add chopped onions and curry leaves. Saute on low flame until they turn into nice golden brown color. Add chopped tomatoes and salt. Saute them until they turn into juicy and mushy.
- Now add coarse paste and saute until the raw smell disappears or oil separates from the mixture.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Mix well and saute for few seconds.
- Add cooked and roughly mashed elephant foot yam (senaikizhangu/kandagadda) and give a good stir.
- Cook on medium low flame for 10-12 mins. In-between stir well, so that they don’t burn at the bottom.
- Finally check the salt and add coriander leaves. Mix well and turn off the stove.
- Serve warm with sambar rice, curd rice or lemon rice.