Senai Kizhangu Varuval (Yam Stir Fry/ Kandagadda Vepudu/ Elephant Foot Yam Stir Fry)
Ingredients for Senai Kizhangu Varuval Recipe:
- 300g senai kizhangu/ elephant foot yam/ kandagadda
- small gooseberry sized ball tamarind or 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 1 1/2 tsp red chili powder or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly crushed
- few curry leaves (optional)
- salt to taste
- 3-5 tbsp of oil
How to make Senai Kizhangu Varuval Or Knadagadda Vepudu:
- Peel the skin, wash and cut the yam into small pieces. Apply some oil on your hands when cutting yam to prevent itching.
- Soak tamarind in little quantity of warm water and extract the juice and keep aside.
- Parboil senai kizhangu (yam) pieces with turmeric powder, salt and very little water.
- Heat a pan with oil and add crushed garlic and curry leaves. Saute on low flame till they turn golden yellow color.
- Add half cooked yam pieces, chili powder, coriander powder, fennel powder and tamarind extract.
- Cook on medium flame until they turn crisp and reddish brown color. Check the salt and In-between stir gently without breaking yam pieces.
- Remove from flame and transfer into serving bowl. Serve warm with sambar rice or curd rice.