Raw Mango Rice (Mamidikaya Pulihora/ Maangai Saadam)
Mango rice – How to make raw mango rice, mamidikaya pulihora or maangai sadam?
Simple and very tasty south Indian rice recipe.
Ingredients for raw mango rice:
- 3 cups rice (cooked)
- 1 cup grated mango
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 green chillies or to taste (break inti 2 pieces)
- 2 dry red chillies (optional)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp bengal gram/ channa dal/senaga pappu
- 2 tsp black gram/ urad dal/ minapappu
- a pinch of hing/ asafoetida
- few cashew nuts (optional)
- few curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
How to make raw mango rice (mamidikaya pulihora/ maangai sadam)?
- Wash and cook the rice. Spread the cooked rice on a plate to cool.
- Wash, peel and grate the mango and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil and add mustard seeds. When they start to pop add channa dal, urad dal and cashew nuts.
- Saute on low flame till they turn into nice golden yellow color.
- Then add curry leaves, broken green chillies, dry red chillies, turmeric power and saute for few secs.
- Add grated mango (maamidikaya/ maangai) required quantity of salt and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and cook for just 5-10 seconds and turn off the stove.
- Add cooked rice and mix gently(take care not to break the rice). Finally check the salt, add if required.
- Now your easy and tasty south Indian mango rice is ready. Enjoy your mango rice with papad or potato fry.