Rasam recipe – How to make rasam recipe
South Indian meals will never be complete without rasam.
Rasam recipe is very easy and tasty soup made with tamarind, cumin seeds, peppercorns and tomato.
Ingredients for Rasam recipe:
- small lemon size tamarind
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (seeragam/ jilakara)
- 1 tsp peppercorns (milagu/ miriyalu)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chili
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- pinch of asafoetida
- few curry leaves
- few coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
How to make rasam recipe:
- Soak the tamarind in water for 10-20 mins.
- Make a coarse paste with cumin seeds and pepper corns.
- Squeeze the tamarind with chopped tomatoes until nothing hard left to squeeze.
- Strain the juice and keep it aside.
- Now boil the tamarind and tomato juice along with cumin seeds and pepper corns paste, turmeric powder and salt for few mins.
- Let it come to a boil (just bubbles appear on the top) and chopped coriander leaves. Never over boil the rasam.
- While boiling the rasam heat a pan with oil. Add mustard seeds.
- When they start to pop add curry leaves, crushed garlic, red chili and asafoetida.
- Saute till the garlic turn into light golden yellow color.
- Now pour this tadka (tempering) to the boiling rasam and turn off the stove.
- Serve hot with plain white rice, potato roast and papad.