Rajma masala recipe – How to make Rajma masala (red kidney beans curry)
Rajma masala – a popular North Indian dish that is made very often in Punjabi households.
Ingredients for Rajma Masala Recipe:
- 1 1/2 cup red kidney beans
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, puree
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp rajma masala powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder or to taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder
- 1/2 tsp kasuri methi (dry fenegreek leaves), crushed
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- 4 tbsp ghee or oil
- salt to taste
Ingredients for Rajma masala powder:
- 1/2″ cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 2 green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- 8 black pepper corns
- 1/4 tsp black cumin
- a pinch of dry ginger powder
How to make Rajma Masala (Red Kidney Beans Curry) recipe:
- Wash and soak the red kidney beans with water for overnight. Pressure cook the soaked red kidney beans along with soaked water till soft. Take half a cup of cooked kidney beans and make a paste coarse paste and keep aside.
- Dry roast rajma masala ingredients and make a fine powder and keep aside.
- Heat a kadai (deep pan) with ghee and add cumin seeds. When they start to pop add asafoetida and saute for few seconds.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute till they turn into nice golden yellow color.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and salt and give a quick stir.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell disappears or the oil separates from the mixture.
- Add tomato puree and cook on low flame till the oil separates from the mixture.
- Add pressure cooked kidney beans along with water and mix well.
- Add amchur powder, crushed kasuri methi and mix well. Cover with lid and cook on medium flame for 3-5 mins.
- In-between stir well so that they don’t burn at the bottom.
- Now add coarsely crushed kidney beans and required water and mix well. Cook on low flame for 8-10 mins.
- Add rajma masala powder and stir well and check the salt. Cover with a lid and cook on low flame for few mins or till your desired gravy consistecy.
- Remove from stove top and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve warm with steamed rice, jeera rice, ghee rice, roti or phulka.