Murungakkai Poricha Kuzhambu Recipe – Poricha kuzhambu is a South Indian dal with vegetables, lentils and ground paste with coconut. This kuzhambu goes well with plain steamed rice and Spicy Vazhakkai Varuval.
Ingredients For Murungakkai Poricha Kuzhambu:
- 1 drumstick
- 1/2 cup moong dal
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 tsp rice flour
- 2 tbsp thick tamarind juice
- 2 tsp sambar powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- pinch of asafoetida or hing
- 3 tbsp finely chopped onions or shallots
- 2 dry red chillies, broke into half
- few curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp oil
How To Make Drumstick Poricha Kuzhambu:
- Cut drumstick into 3″ pieces and cook until they become soft and keep aside.
- Wash and cook green gram dhal (moong dal) in open vessel along with required quantity of salt till soft.
- Grind coconut and rice flour with little water into a smooth paste.
- Heat a kadai with oil and add mustard seeds. When they start to pop add cumin seeds.
- Then add chopped onions, red chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves. Saute until the onions turn into nice golden brown in color.
- Now add sambar powder and turmeric powder. Mix well and saute for few seconds.
- Add tamarind juice. Mix well and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Now pour the cooked moong dal, cooked drumstics and required quantity of salt.
- Mix gently and check the salt and remove from heat. Serve hot or warm with rice and vazhakkai varuval.
How To Make Mrungakkai Poricha Kuzhambu With Step By Step Photos:
- Cook moong dal with required quantity of salt untill soft.
- Make a paste with grated coconut and rice flour.
- Heat a kadai with oil and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Add onions, red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add sambar powder and turmeric powder.
- Add tamarind juice.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add cooked dal.
- Add cooked drumstick pieces.
- Add coconut rice flour paste.
- Mix well and check the salt.
- Serve hot with rice and vazhakkai varuval.