Murukku (Janthikalu/ chakli recipe)
Murukku – Indian festival and snack recipe. Murukku, also known as Janthikalu or chakli.
Ingredients for Murukku:
- 3 cups rice flour
- 1 cup fried gram dhal flour (pottu kadalai, dalia or putnala pappu)
- big pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp hot oil
- required quantity of salt
- required quantity of water
- oil for deep fry
Murukku or Janthikalu preparation:
- Take a bowl and add rice flour, fried gram dhal flour, sesame seeds, required quantity of salt and a big pinch of asafoetida.
- Mix all the dry ingredients well.
- Add 2 tbsp of hot oil to the dry ingredients mixture and mix well.
- Add required quantity water and knead into smooth and soft dough.
- Dough should not be too stiff or too loose.
- Heat a kadai with enough oil to fry.
- Now take the murukku press and stuff in a lump of dough and press.
- With the murukku presser, press the murukku to a greased laddle. (shown in the above picture)
- Slowly drop the murukku into hot oil. (shown in the above picture)
- Deep fry on both sides until they turn into golden yellow colour.
- Remove from kadai and drain the excess of oil.
- Cool and store in an air tight container.
- This will be fresh for weeks in an air tight container.