Miriyala Pappu – Milagu Paruppu – Dal Tadka With Fresh Peppercorn
This is a very yummy dal tadka dish with fresh peppercorns, onion, red chillies and curry leaves. Very simple to make and very delicious dal recipe. This pappu (dal/ paruppu) goes well with steamed rice, roti or chapati.
Ingredients For Miriyala Pappu (Milagu Paruppu/ Toor dal tadka with peppercorns):
- 2 cup toor dal (Thuvaram Paruppu/ Kandi Pappu)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp peppercorns, roughly crushed
- 2 red chilies, broken into half
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- few curry leaves
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
How To Make Miriyala Pappu (Milagu Paruppu/ Dal Tadka With Peppercorns):
- Clean, wash and pressure cook the dal with turmeric and water until soft and tender.
- Heat a pan with oil and add mustard seeds. When they start to pop add finely chopped onions and curry leaves. Saute on medium flame until they turn into nice golden yellow color.
- Add broken red chilies, roughly crushed peppercorns, asafoetida and saute for few seconds. Now add pressure cooked toor dal and salt. Mix gently and check the salt.
- Turn off the stove and serve hot with plain rice, spinach stir fry and rasam