Medu vadai Recipe (garelu) is a south Indian snack recipe. This round shaped vada is made with urad dal (black gram), green chillies and peppercorns. Medu vada’s crispy, tasty and protein rich breakfast/ snack/ festival recipe. This is one of the easiest snack to make.
Ingredients for medu vada (minapa garelu):
- 2 cups urad dal (black gram/ ulundu/ minapa pappu)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 green chillies or to taste, finely chopped
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coconut pieces
- few curry leaves, roughly chopped
- few coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- salt to taste
- oil for frying
Medu vada or minapa garelu preparation:
- wash and soak the dhal for minimum 4-5 hrs.
- Grind the soaked dal into a fine smooth paste with very little amount of water. Do not add too much of water. If it becomes bit watery add little amount of rava (semolina).
- Add onions, green chillies, peppercorns, finely chopped coconut pieces, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- Mix well for at-least 5-10 mins. This gives nice aeration to the vada batter.
- Add salt and once again mix well.
- Heat a deep pan with oil.
- Dip your hands in water and take a lemon size of batter.
- Flatten with your fingers to form a round shape and make a hole in the centre.
- Carefully drop the flattened batter into the medium hot oil and deep fry on both sides till they turn into golden brown color.
- Remove from heat and drain the medu vadas (minapa garelu) on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot or warm with coconut chutney or sambar.