Masala vada recipe (paruppu vadai) – How to make masala vadai
Masala vada is very popular south Indian snack recipe. This vada made with chana dal (kadala paruppu/ senaga pappu) and very easy to make.
This paruppu vadai (masala vada) is one of the popular street side snack in south India.
This masala vadai is made during festive occasions in south Indian homes.
Ingredients for masala vada:
- 2 cups chana dal (kadala paruppu/ senaga pappu)
- 2 big onions, finely chopped
- 3 red chilies or to taste
- 3 green chilies, finely chopped or to taste
- 3/4″ ginger root
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 3/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp finely chopped curry leaves
- 3 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
How to make masala vada (masala vadai):
- Soak chana dal for 2-4 hours. Wash and drain the water.
- Grind coarsely red chilies, coriander seeds, ginger and fennel seeds in a blender/ mixie.
- Add washed and drained chana dal to the same blender/ mixie and make into a coarse paste without adding any water.
- Don’t make it into a fine paste. You should have whole dal here and there.Take it in a wide bowl.
- Add chopped onions, finely chopped curry leaves, finely chopped coriander leaves, finely chopped mint leaves and required quantity of salt.
- Mix well and check the salt.
- Heat a deep pan with oil. When the oil is hot, take a lemon size ball and flatten it with your palms of medium thickness.
- Drop the flattened balls into the oil and fry until they turn into golden brown on both sides.
- Drain the excess oil. Serve hot with coconut chutney or ketchup.