Lilva Thuvar Potato Bhaji – Potato Pigeon Peas Gravy (Aloo Surti Papdi Masala Gravy)
Ingredients for Lilva Thuvar Potato Bhaji (Surti Papdi Potato Garvy) Recipe:
- 2 cups fresh or frozen thuvar lilva
- 2 medium size potatoes, peel and cut into cubes
- 1 medium size onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit vertically
- 1″ ginger root
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp yogurt/ curd
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
How to make Potato Lilva Gravy or Aloo Surti Papdi Masala:
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp of oil. Add chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, green chilies, ginger root, garlic cloves and little salt.
- Cover with a lid and saute on medium low flame till they turn into translucent or they become soft. Remove from flame and allow it to cool. Put the sauteed onion tomato mixture into the blending jar and make a paste without adding water.
- Heat the same pan with remaining oil and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When they start to pop add chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and saute for 8-10 seconds.
- Add ground paste and saute on low flame till the oil separates from the mixture. Keep stirring, so that the ground paste does’t burn at the bottom.
- Add beaten yogurt and mix it well. Cook on low flame for further 2-4 mins.
- Add thuvar lilva and potato cubes and once again mix it well. Add 1 cup of water, required salt and stir it well.
- Cover with a lid and cook on medium low flame till the potatoes become tender.
- Finally add garam masala powder and give a good mix. Cover with a lid and cook on low flame for further 3-5 mins or the gravy becomes thick or thin of your desired consistency. Garnish with coriander leaves and remove from heat.
- Serve hot or warm with rice, roti or parata.