Lemon Rice Recipe (Nimmakaya Pulihora) is one of the easiest and most popular and often made rice recipe from south india.
you can make lemon rice with freshly cooked rice or even with left over rice.
Ingredients For Lemon Rice Recipe (Nimmakaya Pulihora):
- 2 cups rice, cook rice with each grain separate
- 5-6 tbsp of lemon juice or to taste
- 6 cashewnuts (optional)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp bengal gram (chana dal/ senaga pappu/ kadala paruppu)
- 1 tsp black gram (urad dal/ minapa pappu/ ulundhu)
- 2 red chilies
- 3 green chilies, broken into half (or to taste)
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- few curry leaves
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tbsp oil
How To Make Lemon Rice Recipe (Nimmakay Pulihora):
- Wash, cook the rice and spread it on a plate.
- Wash, cut and squeeze lemon juice in a cup and remove the seeds.
- Heat a pan with oil and add mustard seeds. When they start to pop add the dals and saute on low flame until they turn into golden yellow color.
- Add curry leaves, red chilies, green chilies, grated ginger and saute for few more seconds. Add asafoetida, turmeric powder and give a good mix and turn off the stove.
- Add salt to the lemon juice and mix well.
- Add the seasoning and lemon juice to the rice and mix gently without breaking the rice grains.
- Taste and if you feel that it needs more tang, add more lemon juice according to your taste.
- Serve with Bendakaya vepudu (Okra stir fry/ Ladies Finger stir fry/ Vendakkai varuval) or any stir fry of your choice.