Kathirikkai Murungakkai Puli Kuzhambu (Vankaya Munakkaya Pulusu/ Brinjal Drumstick Tamarind Gravy) – Just another traditional Kara kuzhambu recipe with drumstick and brinjal flavoured with tamarind gravy, which goes well with steamed white rice and appalam.
Ingredients For Kathirikkai Murungakkai Puli Kuzhambu:
- 1 drumstick (cut into 2″ or 3″ pieces)
- 4-5 brinjals (cut length wise into 4 or 6 pieces and put them in water)
- small lemon size tamarind
- 10 shallots or 1 medium size onion, finely chopped or sliced
- 1 medium size tomato, finely chopped
- 5 garlic pods (optional)
- 2 tsp red chili powder or to taste
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds/ vendhayam)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing/ perungayam)
- few curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
How To Make Kathirikkai Murungakkai Kara Kuzhambu:
- Wash and soak the tamarind in 1/2 – 3/4 cup of water and squeeze the juice and keep aside.
- Wash and cut the drumsticks. Cut the brinjals and put them in water. But don’t soak the brinjals in water for long time.
- Heat a kadai with oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. When they start to pop add shallots or finely chopped onions, garlic, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Saute them on medium flame until they turn into nice golden brown color. Add chopped tomatoes and required salt. Saute them until they turn juicy and mushy.
- Add brinjal and drumstick. Mix well and cover with a lid. Cook on medium low flame 3-5 mins or slightly the vegetables become tender.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Mix well and saute for few seconds and add tamarind juice and 1 cup of water. If required add more water and check the taste. Adjust tamarind juice and salt according to your taste.
- Bring it to boil and cook the Kathirikkai Murungakkai Puli Kuzhambu on low flame for 10-15 mins or until you get the desired gravy consistency. Turn off the stove and serve warm.
- This puli kulambu (Tamarind gravy) goes well with plain white rice, senai varuval or cabbage stir fry and papad.