Idli Recipe is one of the healtiest protein rich South Indian Breakfast ecipe. These Idlys are served with chutney, sambar, vadacurry or kari kuzhambu. They are easily digestible as they are prepared with a fermented batter.
Ingredients For Idli Batter Recipe:
- 4 cups idli rice
- 1 cup urad dal
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- requird salt
- required water
How To Make Soft Idlis Idli Batter:
- Wash the idli rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds several times and soak them in enough water for 4-6 hours.
- soaking urad dal and Idli rice separately and grinding them separately is a bit lengthy process. So i started the easy method of soaking idli rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds together and grind them smoothly.
- After 6 hrs add the soaked urad dal and idli rice mixture along with water into the wet grinder. Grind this into a smooth batter. If required add little water In-between.
- The consistency of the batter after grinding should not be too thick nor too thin. Transfer the batter into the container and add required salt and mix it nicely with your hands.
- Keep the container in a dark and warm place. Allow it to ferment for overnight or atleast 6-8 hrs.
- The fermentation time depends on the outside temperature as if it is very hot you get it fermented soon, whereas in rainy season this will take some extra time.
- Next day morning mix the fermented batter with spatula.
How To Make Sot Idlis:
- Grease the idli plates with oil and heat the idly pot with 1 cup of water and bring it to boil.
- Pour idli batter to the idli plates and steam it for 8-10 mins or until they cook.
- Turn off the stove and remove the idli mould from idly cooker and set aside.
- Allow it to cool for sometime and remove the idlis from idly mould with the help of the spoon. If you remove the idlis when they are hot , they will stick and they don’t come properly.
- Now your soft idlis are ready to serve.
- Serve hot with medu vadai, mint chutney, sambar, vadacurry or kari kuzhambu.