Gutti Vankaya Kura recipe or Stuffed Eggplant Curry is a Traditional Andhra special curry recipe. This recipe is made with fresh and tender vankaya (eggplants/ kathirikkai). This stuffed eggplant curry made with different types of stuffings. This curry goes well with rice, roti or parata.
Ingredients For Gutti Vankaya Kure (stuffed eggplant/ stuffed kathirikkai):
- 8-10 fresh tender brinjals
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup fresh yogurt (curd/ perugu)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green cardamon
- 2 cloves
- small cinnamon stick
- few curry leaves
- few coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
Coarse Powder Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup chana dal (senaga pappu/ kadala paruppu)
- 6-8 red chilies or to taste
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
How To Make Gutti Vankaya Kura (Stuffed Egg Plant/ Stuffed Kathirikkai):
- Wash and dry the brinjals and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with 1/2 tbsp of oil. First add coriander seeds and toss for few mins. Then add chana dal and toss for few mins. Then add red chilies and toss them on low flame until chana dal turn into nice golden yellow color. Finally add seasame seeds and toss for few seconds. (Don’t burn the ingredients. Toss them on low flame and stiring continuously). Remove from flame and allow it to cool for sometime. Then make a coarse powder and keep aside.
- Take the brinjals and remove the stem and cut from the base end and make a slit.Slit each brinjals 4-8 sections.
- Now the egg plants are ready to stuffing. Slowly and gently fill the stuffing inside without breaking the vankaya (brinjals/ egg plats/ kathirikkai). Stuff all the brinjal and keep aside the remaining coarse powder.
- Heat a pan with oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom, clove and cinnamon. When they start to pop add sliced onions and curry leaves. Saute them on medium flame until they turn into golden yellow color. Add chopped tomatoes and required salt. Mix well and saute till the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell disappears. Add well beaten curd and cook until oil separates from the mixture.
- Now add stuffed brinjals and remaining powder and mix gently. Add 2 cups of water and cook on low flame for 25-30 mins or till eggplants become tender.
- In-between stir gently without breaking the vankaya (brinjals/ kathirikkai). Check the salt and add coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice, roti or parata.